Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

To Play or Not to Play

Couple of administrative type things to get out of the way first...

Our Program Newsletter: May Edition - take a look: Click Here

Pancake Breakfast - Call the number on the flier or me for tickets: Click Here

And now to business.

We recently had a dinner event after a practice and I did something I rarely ever do - I sat down and had lengthy conversations with parents without being asked to discuss something. Don't get me wrong, I don't have it against the parents, just I got burned my first few years talking to parents about stuff, and just decided that it may be better for all parties involved to limit how much time we spend talking while I am their son's coach. Fortunately, I broke my own rule, sat down with the parents and we just hung out, talked about what's left of our season, and the like.

One part of the conversation that really struck me was that the parents were asking what our plan was for the next few weeks as we prepare for the Zero Gravity National tournament in Boston. I honestly hadn't quite decided what we were going to do as I was still trying to see if we wanted to play each weekend leading up to the tournament for momentum or play in one last tournament and then give them the weekend off to rest and recuperate. I know what you're thinking - you coach 8th graders, they don't need rest. I know that. But they do get burn out. Is was also my way of saying that I didn't want to kill the parents playing every weekend for the last 3 months with only 2 free weekends. In the past, I had parents complain about how busy the schedule was. I also had younger kids, and less experienced parents. Needless to say, the veteran parents - okay all of the parents - turned to me, looked at their kids, and then said, "Seriously, do you think they need a break?"

Well played, parents...

They then started throwing out all the reasons they wanted the boys to play. Momentum, staying active and engaged in the game, getting live game time experience with special situations and different styles of play and coaching. So yeah they won.  Which is good. I don't like off weekends. I get bored and then spend all weekend surfing the web looking at new gadgets and stuff that I really have no need to be looking at (or buying). I'd much rather be on a sideline somewhere. Besides, with some of the stuff that may be coming down the pike, I need every last opportunity I can to get better. Whether it's better with X's and O's, relating to my team, or even little details of the rules, I stand the chance to learn every time we play.

Maybe need to reevaluate my rule on parents.


No comments:

Post a Comment