Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Earned Respect

So a few weeks ago, one of my more experienced guys went down and had to get his appendix removed.  You would think he'd be out for a good while recovering from surgery.  I didn't really expect to see him back trying to move around on the court for probably two more weeks.  But then sometimes, that hunger just takes control...

Last Monday, I walk into practice and he's on the court dribbling.  He's not really dressed to do a ton of running or anything, but he showed up.  I didn't ask him to show up - didn't say anything about it at all.  Then we start doing some shooting work and he's helping pass the ball back in to shooters.  Finding ways to be at practice and involved.   So I talk to his mom and she tells me he's cleared to practice, but just keep an eye on him.  I figure I'll let him do some light conditioning, give him extra breaks, let him sit out reps the next practice. 

We show up to the next practice and we do some sprints to start after stretching.  I'm expecting this guy to be last, and I'm okay with that.  He's two weeks out of surgery.  He's finishing in the middle of the group!  Whoa.  I had to call out the other players on it.  "This guy is two weeks out of surgery and at 100% he wasn't beating most of you.  HE JUST HAD SURGERY!  I expected him to be a little rusty and out of shape, but he's crushing some of you." I turned to him, shook his hand, and said, "You sir, have earned my respect."  Even after calling them out, I think he outworked his teammates that practice by far. 

I gave him spotty minutes during games last weekend just to help gauge his progress.  He still has some work to do to get back to full strength, but he was so determined- you couldn't tell him he wasn't supposed to be playing at this level.  He was not going to quit.  Even when the pace got a little too fast for him, he gave everything to keep up and be in position to help his team.  If he was 100%, I'm pretty sure I'd have let him play every minute of every game with that attitude.  I missed it.  That pure, innocent, "I just want to play ball" mindset.  The attitude where I just want to help my team do better no matter what and even though I'm a little tired and sore, I'm going to dig deeper.  While I'm not wishing appendicitis on anyone, but maybe that brief time where he couldn't play was the difference maker.  They say sometimes you don't realize how important something is until you can't have it.  Maybe that's what's happening here.  Closest I could get is benching a kid for a whole game, but that's generally frowned upon with 5th grade, or anyone not in high school apparently (borderline soft if you ask me).  All I know is that hunger, desire, determination brings a smile to my face.  To any athletes out there, trust me when I tell you - your coach will absolutely have more respect for you if you just go and give it your all for every second that you are on the court. 

No comments:

Post a Comment