Pages

Friday, December 7, 2012

Frustration

I normally don't post immediately after games, especially loses.  I'm pretty sure it's obvious why.  But today we need to make an exception.  They say animals can sense emotions, and my dog who normally can't stand to not be in the same room as me has decided to very quietly stay in the kitchen.  I need to vent or something....

I don't like losing.  Yes, it comes with the territory.  Sure, in competitive sport there has to be a winner and a loser.  Such is the way of things in the basketball world.  I completely understand that.  Yet, it doesn't make accepting loss after loss any easier.  It doesn't make seeing your team struggle to do fundamental things well and with success less painful.  It doesn't make it any less difficult to see the other team score at will.  It straight up sucks.

Maybe I have been spoiled in the past, with players who had a bit more experience and understanding of the game.  I need time that isn't available.  Every team I'm going to face from this point forward will have at least a whole year's head start.  A whole year to understand how to protect the basketball.  A whole year to understand how presses work.  A whole year of learning to dribble with their heads up and see the floor.  It may not seem like a lot, but a whole season is at least 16 games.  16 games of learning. 16 games of growing together.  16 games of experience.

I don't like losing.  But most importantly, I don't like feeling like I'm letting my boys down.

I let a guy who was working hard to contribute with every ounce of his body foul out half way through the third.  Nothing is more depressing than seeing a kid who is giving his all have to sit through 12 minutes wishing he could be out there helping his team.  I let him down.  I lost my cool over a series of bad calls and lost my right to the coaches box with 2 minutes left in the first half.  Also gave the other team two free throws and possession.  The team lost its energy after that.  The bench got quiet.  The guys on the floor kept playing hard, but it just didn't feel the same.  We didn't really gel defensively after that.  I hurt the entire team.

Maybe I'm not preparing them right.  We're working on dribbling, rebounding, and passing in practice.  We're explaining how to react in certain situations and then making it happen.  But we're just so far behind everyone right now. 

Am I going to give up? Absolutely not.  But I can't afford to keep spinning my wheels like this.  I don't blame the team.  They are working hard.  This is on me.  This is absolutely my loss to bear - and it hurts.  It's going to be a long night...

No comments:

Post a Comment