Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

Things I'm Thankful For...

Not to fall into being cliché, but I really wanted to post this because it gives me a chance to say thanks and give credit to those who have and are helping me along my journey.

To start, I want to say thanks to Coach D, who without ever having met in person, gave me the opportunity to join his AAU coaching staff.  For all he knew I had zero clue about the game, but he took a chance and that's not something you should take lightly.  Even with the struggles we had that first year and the horrendous record, he never once said a word to me about leaving the program.  I remember thinking to myself after every tough loss we took, "You are going to get fired.  Any minute you are gone."  He was just there to keep helping the team and I get stronger and better. 

I am also thankful for the support of my family in this endeavor.  Though they've never seen me coach a single game (they are in Texas so that would be tough) my mother, father, and sister have been there behind me all the way.  My parents have helped me get the tools I need to analyze games and critique my team and my own game time decisions, and my sister has been there to cheer me up during rough losing streaks and help diagnose injuries along the way.  Hey L, if you read this and I ever make it big time, you've got a job on my medical staff, hands down.  We always joked about working together growing up, so who knows.

I am also thankful for a couple of choice people who've come into my life and helped me make it through the rougher patches of my career.  People like K-Dub and Letty who no matter what the odds were found ways to come cheer for my boys, sometimes when no one else would.  My good friend Deenie, who will be the first to admit that she knows very little about basketball yet will listen to me vent, rant, rave, or whatever for as long as it takes.  And of course, I have to say thanks to KB who gave me the number of a guy who gave me a number of a guy who told me to call this one guy who put me in touch with Coach D.  It had to start somewhere, right?

I also am thankful to the fellow Travel and AAU coaches who have always been willing to share laughs, lessons, tough losses, and their time with me to help make me a better coach.  I've always been one to admit that I am still learning a lot about what it takes to be a good coach and these guys have been more than willing to help me out.

Lastly, I'm thankful for the teams who have been coached by me, and told their friends great things to encourage them to come through our program to work with me. I'm thankful for the understanding, patience, and willingness to grow with me, and many times it with little to no resistance.

I love the opportunity that I've been afforded with the program, which is why I put in the time to try to make sure it pays those responsible back for their support, belief and encouragement.  If I left you out, charge it to my head and not my heart, and know that I absolutely do appreciate you and your support.

I'll try not to be so cliché for the next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment