Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Workout Recap

Okay, now that I've gotten my head back on straight, we can get down to business. 

Last week we held a workout for interested players just to help get them back in basketball mode and get a feel for how much interest our efforts had generated.  I was given the reigns for the 5th and 6th grade workout.  It was non-stop motion.  I was told the purpose was to drill, drill, drill and then drill some more and that's what we did.  Basic stuff - dribble with your dominant hand, switch to your weak hand, between your legs, layup, pick and roll, pass.  Yes you can fill two hours just working on that, and that's what I did.  It was probably the most organized I've been in a long while, and it felt good.  Incentive to keep that level going I guess.  I felt good, parents seemed to be pleased that it was a good two hours (you could tell there were some skeptics when they arrived about what kind of "workout" it would be), and the players realized that we were serious about basketball and met the intensity of the workout with positive energy.  Win for everyone.

For those that have been following my posts for a bit already knew I was amped to start this season.  Add to that the fact that I will have my own team - I'm overjoyed.  Then give me this workout where I'm pushing these kids hard, and they aren't backing down.  I see some of them making things harder than they need to be and make minor adjustments to correct it, and they are doing it.  Yes, they took my advice and made that adjustment and put it on the floor.  As a project manager, I deal with teams and delegating and adjusting to situations daily.  But grown men don't even make this adjustment that fast!  Now I'm not just excited, I'm constantly thinking about how great it is going to be and counting down the days to our first tournament (22 days and counting). 

I was also involved in the 7th and 8th grade workout session.  It was a little harder to get those guys to focus, but that's because most of them have played two seasons together, so it was more of a reunion and lots of "Hey coach! Is so-and-so coming back?"  They still put in a good workout though.  I also ran into a lot of parents who were overjoyed to hear I was sticking around.  I'm not going to lie.  Two years ago, when I started this journey, I never really expected anyone to care what I was doing, let alone ask me to coach their kids.  I wanted to be that coach that people wanted, I just didn't think it'd happen yet.  Don't worry, it won't go to my head.  Just two months ago, while at Nationals, I saw just how little I was.  Being in the arena with D-1 college coaches that get their own entrance, concession stand, seating, and security will do that to you. It was nice though and I will do what I can to live up to those expectations.  They don't ask for you by name unless they believe you can give their athlete something, and that's what I've set out to do.

Tryouts are coming up, my age group is Wednesday and Friday night.  I'm double checking the equipment, and working on the tryout plan.    I'm getting the goals for myself on paper and internalized.  Ladies and gentlemen, in the words of Coach D, "It's time to do work!"

No comments:

Post a Comment