Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Thanksgiving Shootout

Well, as I said before I didn't get much time to rest up between seasons.  I spent my limited time preaching defensive intensity, and it carried us through our pool with very little resistance.  The playoffs were a different story. 

Our first game was against a shorter St. Joe's team, but we couldn't rebound to save our lives, and we had no concept of offensive spacing or flow.  But I expected that to a point.  When you get a new team and you don't spend much time on offense that's what you are going to get.  What I didn't expect was for St. Joe's to take care of the basketball.  We managed to get enough pressure to squeeze out a win and advance to the championship.  In the championship game we played against and aggressive team from Bayonne.  They were beatable, but their success was created by their chaos full-court press.  I guess we earned their respect, because they didn't press us until late in the second half, but our lack of offensive IQ hurt us.  Thanks to some clutch free throws and rebounds, we snuck past Bayonne to claim the title of Thanksgiving Shootout Champions, and earned an invite to the March Tournament of Champions.

Not much time to rest again, as our second tournament, the Mike Blake Invitational, started 5 days later. More to come on that later..

No comments:

Post a Comment